WWF Pakistan Jobs Manager Water Programme
Manager, Water Programme
Reports to : Director Climate, Energy and Water
Programme : Freshwater
Grade / Contract : D 2: Long Term [Annual Contract / Renewable]
Location : WWF-Pakistan, Head Office, Lahore
Work Week : 05 Days/ Week (Monday to Friday)
Work Hours : 40 hours a week
Last Date: 2017-08-18
WWF-Pakistan is actively working on water issues (Water Security, Water Stewardship and Wetlands Conservation) as well as promoting environmental awareness in the country. The vision of our freshwater programme is to conserve and sustainably manage freshwater habitats in Pakistan to benefit nature and people. The freshwater programme strives to maintain ecological health, hydrological processes and biological diversity in the Indus River Basin. The approach is based upon action and advocacy backed by science to ensure sustainable use of freshwater resources pertaining to development opportunities by keeping in perspective people-nature beneficiary angle.
Stewardship is the management of public goods, like freshwater, on the premise that we all are accountable for the sustainability of the resource. WWF-Pakistan claims to be the pioneer organization in engaging the industrial sector/SMEs in the stewardship domain. In the domain of water security, WWF-Pakistan is trying to engage several stakeholders government agencies, private sector, civil society organizations on trans-boundary issues, being a science based organization, a big advocate of environmental flows in the rivers of Indus basin. WWF-Pakistan has also engaged corporate and SMEs sector in the implementation of stewardship tools such as Water Risk Filters, AWS (Alliance for water stewardships standards) and linking to the governance and policymaking. WWF-Pakistan’s core expertise exists in Wetlands Conservation, policymaking, management planning and field based implementation of interventions in collaboration with communities and partners/stakeholders across Pakistan.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of Director, Climate, Energy and Water, the Manager will be responsible for the day to day management of financial, human resource, procurement and logistic aspects of the freshwater programme. The manager will ensure the delivery of inputs to produce the planned outputs of the Freshwater Programme.
- Ensure the smooth implementation of the Freshwater Programmeof WWF-Pakistan.
- Manage budgeting and planning in close collaboration with the Director Climate, Energy and Water and Director Operations, WWF-Pakistan.
- Ensure the timely and efficient delivery of outputs planned under various projects leading to the achievement of expected results.
- Responsible for the implementation of annual and quarterly workplans for achieving planned results following WWF-Pakistan guidelines.
- Develop a close liaison with the supervisorand other teams to ensure that programme results are achieved and resources are managed efficiently and effectively.
- Engage different consultants (National/International) for conducting different studies for different project.
Aligning WWF freshwater Programme with global and national priorities
- Act as a focal person for Freshwater for WWF-Pakistan and work effectively to achieve a key position in WWF global practice team
- Promote the vision, mission and strategic goals of the freshwater programme of WWF-Pakistan keeping in view the national, regional and global priorities
- Conduct meetings with decision and policy makers on MEAs/SDGs and overseeing the framework of MEAs/SDGs in the context of WWF-Pakistan’s global goals.
- Inform and influence donors to incorporate freshwater programme in their strategic plans
- Advocate the environmental flows in the Indus basin
- Develop Indus Basin Water Stewardship Strategy, while working on transboundary rivers
- Provide support to other practices within the region to promote conservation of priority wetlands species and habitats
Programme Development and Donor Coordination
- Develop a close liaison with Programme Development Department of WWF-Pakistan to develop new projects on freshwater as per the donor requirements and as the opportunities arise
- Facilitate the visits of the donor agencies to project sites for their extended support
- Give presentations to donors and maintain a regular interaction with them
Networking and Partnerships
- Establishrelationship with the potential government, CSO and private stakeholders and partners involved in Freshwater programme
- Develop a good working relationship within the WWF Network to share case studies, success stories and best management practices
- Represent WWF-Pakistan’sWater work at the global Community of Practice forums, Practice meetings, International Water Week etc.
- Establish liaison with international network for devising the strategic work of water stewardship in the Indus basin
Planning, Monitoring and Reporting
- Take lead in preparing annual and quarterly work plans of the projects, in consultation with the respective Director and other team members
- Organise biannually Programme Support Unit (PSU) of Freshwater Programme
- Based on the M&E framework of the programme / projects, develop and refine indicators for the effective implementation of the interventions
- Regularly update the Human Resource Plan and Procurement Plan of the Programme in close coordination with the supervisor, HR Department and the freshwater team
- Ensure effective and accurate financial resource planning and management
- Monitor expenditures in accordance with WWF-Pakistan and donors financial guidelines
- Provide support to the Finance Department in audits and follow up
- Extend help to Finance Department in preparing quarterly and annual financial and programmatic reports.
Procurement Management and Human Resources
- Provide support with recruitment and procurement of the projects/programme as per approved human resource and procurement plans
- Supervise staff and prepare their Terms of References as well as consultancy positions in consultation with the supervisor
- Supervise the consultants to ensure the delivery of quality workas per the agreed timeline
- Ensure a succession plan within the team in close coordination with the Director Climate, Energy and Water
Skills & Attributes
- Proven commitment to nature conservation in Pakistan and ability to develop in-depth understanding of environment and to critically apply this knowledge to field implementation and policy development
- Good management skills, leadership qualities and decision making for driving the programme in the right direction.
- Good communication skills (English and Urdu), with ability to communicate effectively at all levels of seniority, including ability to convey complex information in an accessible way.
- Proven ability to act as a credible, informed spokesperson at different forums on water and environmental issues
- Ability to work effectively in teams
- Capacity for maintaining a productive liaison with the corporate partner ensuring a healthy partnership
- Proficiency in computer particularly Microsoft Office;
- Familiarity with the community setups and mindsets of the stakeholders.
- Event management skills and experience;
- A dynamic, pleasant and communicative personality;
- Sensitivity to gender and other current social issues in Pakistan;
- Adheres to WWF’s values, which are: Passionate & Optimistic, Challenging & Inspiring, Credible & Accountable, and Persevering & Delivering Results.
Qualification and Experience
- Masters in Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Water Resource Management, Freshwater Ecology, Hydrology or any other relevant field.
- Foreign qualification will be given preference
- Preferably 10 years of professional experience in implementing donor driven water related projects, working with credible organizations. Apply
WWF- Pakistan is an equal opportunity employer and reserves the right to amend this document from time to time, as may be required in the interests of the organization
WWF Pakistan Jobs Manager Water Programme