Get Latest Jobs Via Email
UNDP Jobs Civil engineer : The United Nations Development Programme, the UN’s global development network, partners with people at all levels of society to help build nations that can withstand crisis, and drive and sustain the kind of growth that improves the quality of life for everyone. On the ground in 177 countries and territories, we offer global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and build resilient nations.
The Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) have an estimated population of over 5 million and are among the least developed regions of Pakistan. The region lies along Pakistan’s border with Afghanistan and has been affected by militancy and violence, which have in turn limited the reach and coverage of social and economic service delivery by the state. The Constitution of Pakistan accords special status to the FATA region, which is included among the territories of Pakistan and is represented in the parliament. However, FATA continues to be governed under the Frontier Crimes Regulation (1901) and the laws framed by the parliament do not apply in FATA. The Constitution vests the President of Pakistan with the authority to issue regulations for the peace and good governance of the tribal areas. The Governor of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and FATA, on the behalf of the President of Pakistan, governs and exercises the executive authority over the FATA region. The Governor also oversees the FATA Secretariat, which is the government’s administrative and service delivery structure for FATA.
The militancy and subsequent military operations have led to the displacement of over 2 million people from FATA over the last few years. The Government launched a Return and Rehabilitation Strategy in early 2015 and confirmed its resolve to support dignified return and rehabilitation of the displaced families to FATA between March 2015 and December 2016.
Since the launch of the strategy more than 100,000 families have already returned to FATA. Under the Community Resilience FATA Project, UNDP is working closely with the FATA Secretariat to support the implementation of the Rehabilitation Strategy in areas of return with particular focus on rehabilitation of access to basic services and infrastructure, rebuilding of damaged/destroyed homes, recovery of livelihoods and support to reestablish community spaces and services.
In this context, UNDP is looking to engage the services of an international civil engineer with extensive rehabilitation experience in post-crisis setting in order to support the Project Manager of the CR FATA project with the design and management of the rehabilitation component.
Duties and Responsibilities
Main Objectives & Description of the Proposed Assignment
The International Engineer (Civil Works) will lead the roll out of UNDP’s Infrastructure Rehabilitation Programme for the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) of Pakistan. The consultant will work closely with the team of nationally recruited engineers to establish and roll out systems for the programme. S/he will also perform quality assurance of the infrastructure rehabilitation documents with a view to ensuring the efficient, effective and transparent management of rehabilitation works.
The Specific Functions Of The Consultant Will Include The Following
- Design of the rehabilitation component of the project (management structure, key tasks of the team, work plans)
- Smooth management of the procurement process for civil works services (revision of BOQs, preparation of Invitation to Bid/Request for proposal, lead evaluation panel for selection of suppliers, revise work plans of suppliers, develop formats for tracking progress under civil works contracts)
- Training of staff and project partners on quality control (train staff on international best practices, devise minimum quality benchmarks for field engineers to apply for civil works carried out by the community)
- Development of a monitoring and evaluation system for civil works (including data collection/analysis tools and SOPs)
Duration of Assignment, Duty Station and Expected Places of Travel
The consultancy will be for a period of 06 months starting immediately after the signing of contract. The Duty Station for this assignment will be Peshawar with frequent travel within the Country especially to the Project Sites in Federally Administered Tribal Area, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
The Consultant Is Expected To Produce The Following Deliverables
- Establish a system for surveying infrastructure/buildings for rehabilitation needs (e.g., civil works, electrical works, plumbing works, furnishing, equipment, furniture);
- Design criteria, checklists and formats for preparing scheme design, bills of quantities and cost estimates;
- Review and quality assurance of the tender/bid documents;
- Develop checklists and rating criteria for bids evaluation with a view to ensure value for money;
- Establish a system of contract management includes work plans and dashboards with key performance indicators and milestones; and
- Put in place mechanisms for quality assurance of the rehabilitation works.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of the UN; and
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Strong political acumen and extensive experience of providing policy advice and sound written reporting skills;
- In-depth knowledge and first-hand experience of programme management cycle;;
- Well-developed skills and demonstrated experience in facilitation, consensus-building, multi-stakeholder processes and negotiation;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Experience and specialist knowledge in building national and local capacities in governance and building national reconciliation;
- Possesses specialist knowledge in the area of conflict prevention management, social cohesion, dialogue and governance reform or related areas as well as in-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues including gender mainstreaming;
- Sound understanding and capability to empower and develop the capacity of national and civil society counterparts; and
- Proven ability to incorporate into his/her work relevant international practices.
- Excellent team-building, diplomatic and interpersonal skills;
- Resourcefulness, initiative, and maturity of judgment;
- Sound time management with full understanding of matrix management and organizational skills with the ability to handle and delegate multiple tasks;
- Ability to coordinate and build strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Ability to mobilize resources and manage funds; and
- Capacity to work under pressure, manage stress and adapt to rapidly evolving situations.
- Team player, self-motivated and initiative taking, dedicated, creative, resourceful, flexible, energetic and sound judgment;
- Builds strong relationships with partners, focusing on impact and results;
- Demonstrates creativity, openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Possesses positive and constructive attitudes to work; and
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development.
- Master’s degree from a recognized institution in Civil, Structural engineering or related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of work experience in the international development context along with extensive experience working on medium and small scale infrastructure projects.
- Fluency in English, including excellent writing skills. Apply