Get Latest Jobs Via Email
Acumen Pakistan seeks an ambitious self-starter who will help us amplify Acumen’s impact and influence in Pakistan; we are looking for someone who can raise funding, bring together stakeholders across the social sector, build strategic relationships and think creatively about how to leverage Acumen’s work for out-sized impact.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $88 million in 82 companies across Africa, Latin America and South Asia. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. This year, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
Acumen has been investing in Pakistan since 2002 and established Acumen Pakistan (formerly Acumen Fund Pakistan) in 2006, as a local non-profit entity. We currently have over $16 million in committed investments in Pakistan and an additional $3 million in pipeline investments currently in various stages of due diligence. The office is staffed with a full-time team of professionals with prior backgrounds in social enterprise, corporate and investment banking, and business and strategy consulting. We have a strong Advisory Board and partner community consisting of senior business leaders. The Pakistan team is supported by Acumen’s global portfolio team as well as business and development professionals in Pakistan who provide investment management advice through the year.
Acumen Pakistan has spent the last three years building a donor community in Pakistan (and in the Diaspora) that has focused on building our presence and visibility in the country. Our goal now is to create a step change in terms of awareness and financial support for Acumen’s work across Pakistan.
The Pakistan Community Builder will be an integral member of the Pakistan team, reporting to the Country Director, and working closely across all business functions with visibility into Acumen’s entire business in Pakistan. This role requires creativity, an ability to think outside the box and exercise influence without direct authority, both within and outside Acumen. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Amplify Acumen’s Impact And Influence Beyond Portfolio To Make Patient Capital/social Entrepreneurship As a Mainstream Tool To Fight Poverty In Pakistan, With a Core Community Of Stakeholders Supporting Acumen’s Efforts
- Galvanize the social entrepreneur sector, strategy to be developed, but examples of how we might think of doing this is to partner and/or convene the small and emerging incubators, support innovation challenges and leverage +Acumen with targeted courses and in person groups. We would need to solve for the seed capital funding gap which might mean convening a group of potential partners/investors
- Convene the larger ecosystem on certain problems we want to solve: community building around ideas, establishing ourselves as thought leaders, partner with people like the World Bank, DFID, the large Universities, event orientation
- Build strategic relationships and partnerships in Pakistan – with policy makers, lead corporations, business/development leaders, universities, and media – with an aim of creating impactful initiatives that strengthen patient capital’s growth in the country
- Represent Acumen at relevant domestic and international conferences
- Direct capturing and sharing of learning/insights from Pakistan and global portfolio companies with support from global Impact and Marketing team
- Oversee different community engagement activities, including work with Advisors and Chapters and other initiatives..
- Fund raising: work with Global Business Development
- Package our ten year history emphasizing relative success in investment
- Build a strong funding base and partner community to financially support Acumen’s objectives in Pakistan.
- Oversee and support the business development team in raising funds for work in Pakistan, with a core focus on building key donor relationships.
- Manage relations with senior donors and partners, in conjunction with the local and global business development teams.
- Explore and build large-scale institutional funding partnerships in Pakistan and other countries.
- Push TA funding and fellows funding in the short term, position for larger local fund (pioneer and growth) for 2017
- Apply for post conflict fund at US Aid, to include both conflict and vulnerable areas
- Ensure that Acumen’s ambition and achievements are understood within Pakistan so that we can deliver upon the strategy
- Ensure that we have enough excitement around Acumen to enable global and local fund raising
- Write and/or support any reports or papers that are written by the team
- Collaborate with team to prepare quarterly Management Updates to be shared with MC/Board/Advisors. Prepare all presentations/reports needed for the Annual Advisors meeting
- Write blogposts either in collaboration with the team and Fellows or on your own which showcase Acumen’s work across investing, leaders, and ideas
- Identify and cultivate relationships with thought leaders, media contacts and publications that lead to strategic local press for Acumen
- Work with relevant team members to draft and circulate press releases for new investments, Fellows announcements and study launches
- Manage the daily functioning of the @Acumen_Pakistan twitter handle
- Track local conferences to ensure Acumen is adequately represented at external forums and position team members as panelists where relevant. Provide support to team members to create and curate content for external presentations
- Serve as a communications resource for high-priority investee companies and Global Fellows in Pakistan (facilitate conversations with media contacts, identify speaking opportunities, etc.)
- Work with portfolio team to cull learnings and stories from the Pakistan portfolio that can be used for external communications
- Track local news and updates in the social enterprise and impact investing space and be a voice for Acumen
Qualifications & Characteristics
- Dedication to social impact in emerging markets, and in particular entrepreneurial solutions to development challenges. Understanding of Pakistan development context a plus
- 5-10 years of work experience in marketing and sales, communications and/or fundraising functions
- Able to operate independently in complex, autonomous situations
- Fluency in both English and Urdu
Additional Characteristics We’re Looking For In All Roles At Acumen
- Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, the organization’s mission and business model, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity, respect
- Moral Imagination: The humility to see the world as it is, and the audacity to imagine the world as it could be. It also includes but is not limited to the following:
- Displaying high level of empathy in all relationships and encounters
- Possessing deep self-awareness and ability to identify own strengths and weaknesses
- Actively listening and focusing on hearing what others are saying
- Good understanding of financial concepts and our investing model
- Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure
- Effectively collaborates with and across teams, seeks and provides constructive feedback
- Exceptional relationship and interpersonal skills: courtesy, tact, patience and strong team orientation
- Strong communication skills and ability to be a “storyteller” of our work
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
- Curious – always questioning, always probing, and never blindly accepting
- A sense of humor (really) Apply