Get Latest Jobs Via Email
Master’s degree in political sciences, sociology, law, international relations, or a related field.
At least 3 to 5 years previous professional experience in humanitarian affairs, emergency preparedness, and management of emergency relief/early recovery would be an asset. Relevant professional experience within the UN common system would be a strong asset. Knowledge of humanitarian coordination institutional mandates, policies and guidelines related to humanitarian affairs and humanitarian reform is desirable. Fluency in English (written and spoken) is required.
In order to assist in addressing the humanitarian challenges being faced by Pakistani civilians especially after the recent floods in the country, OCHA is strengthening its presence in Pakistan by establishing Two (02) sub-offices and several satellite offices in Sind and Baluchistan, in order to provide support to UN agencies, NGOs, donors and other humanitarian organizations working in Pakistan. One of OCHA’s strategic priorities will be to support the Humanitarian Coordinator in the coordination of humanitarian affairs for timely and adequate delivery of humanitarian assistance and greater protection to the populations in Pakistan affected by recent flooding in the country, military operations on the border with Afghanistan and possible natural disaster. As such, collation and dissemination of information and field-level coordination will be catalysts in improving the response to humanitarian needs. In this context, OCHA will intensify Information management, resource-mobilization and advocacy efforts. The transition from relief to early recovery coordination will take place based on the needs of the population shifting from relief to early recovery needs.
Under the overall guidance of the Senior HAO / Head of Office and the direct supervision of the Senior National HAO, the National HAO will be responsible for the following:
1. Provide substantial assistance in the implementation of inclusive, field-level humanitarian coordination mechanisms, including liaison with relevant UN operational agencies, NGOs, and local authorities;
2. Preparation, implementation and monitoring of the designated county’s humanitarian work plan (usually expressed through the Common Humanitarian Action Plan (CHAP)/ Consolidated Appeal Process (CAP));
3. Regular monitoring and analysis of developments in the designated country and support the preparation of analytical reports highlighting social, political, humanitarian and other relevant factors affecting the overall humanitarian situation;
4. Monitoring of humanitarian risks to ensure that the various contingency plans are consistent and well-coordinated including availability of resources; Assist in supporting the inter-agency contingency planning;
5. Support advocacy initiatives on issues impacting humanitarian needs and response efforts through the collection of information, liaison with humanitarian partners, government officials, and media, development of appropriate strategies, etc.;
6. Provide substantial support to sector / cluster working groups as required and facilitate exchange on cross cutting issues;
7. Support the collection of field information to improve coordination activities and information products such as who does what where and inter-agency reports;
8. Assist in matters related to natural disasters, including drafting situation reports and flash appeals, preparing costs plans for cash contributions made by/through OCHA and final reporting on their use; participation in/support to UNDAC missions;
9. Assist in liaising with humanitarian partners on the collection of information to effectively map areas of humanitarian needs and response activities in support of coordination efforts; and track information required for early warning of potential conflict and conflict-related vulnerability;
10. Perform other duties, as assigned by the Senior National HAO and the Head of Office or his/her designate.
This position may involve extensive travelling within the region and temporary posting outside mentioned locations.
Expected Outputs of this Position
Substantive support to the UN Humanitarian Coordinator through the OCHA Senior HAO / Head of Office in servicingthe humanitarian community;