EY Ernst & Young Jobs Senior Legal Counsel: The Legal function of this large Professional Services Organization is dedicated to the provision of world class in-house legal services to the organization’s service lines and regions.
- The role of Senior Counsel for Pakistan/Afghanistan region reports to the Country Managing Partner with a dotted reporting line to the MENA General Counsel, supporting the organization’s member firms in primarily in Pakistan, Afghanistan, but also throughout EY’s MENA Region
- The role will be based in Karachi.
- While this is a senior role for a generalist lawyer, significant contractual negotiation experience with domestic and international clients, as well as demonstrable litigation and dispute resolution experience, are two critical requirements.
- In conjunction with the Country Managing Partner and MENA General Counsel, lead, plan strategically, and develop the legal function in the region to align with the delivery of the organization’s strategy and vision.
- Work with the EMEIA Area Counsel to facilitate efficient and high-quality legal services primarily in Pakistan and Afghanistan, but also throughout EY’s MENA region where needed.
- Coordinate closely with Legal Practice Group leaders to deliver exceptional client service primarily in Pakistan and Afghanistan, but also throughout EY’s MENA region where needed.
- Manage and coordinate delivery of contentious, non-contentious, compliance and governance related legal advice and assistance in all practice areas.
- Draft and participate in commercial contracts negotiations with clients and service providers, elevate legal risks to management and relevant Legal Practice Group leader.
- Directly support the management and resolution of complex and brand affecting litigation and disputes.
- Support business transactions.
- Develop relationships with all relevant business stakeholders, including the Pakistan, Afghanistan and MENA Leadership Team, and to act as trusted advisor.
- Support legal function Network Teams and promote the teamwork & cross-support working between the organization’s lawyers within Pakistan, Afghanistan, MENA and Globally.
- Support the Global Legal Function and promote coordination within Pakistan, Afghanistan and MENA of lawyers affiliated with global practice groups.
- Serve as a mentor to more junior Legal team members.
- Identify and manage external counsel.
- Assist in leading the Pakistan, Afghanistan and MENA legal team’s best practices, including: (i) Development and maintenance of Legal Policies & Checklists, Do’s & Don’ts, FAQs, Templates & Guidance notes (ii) Provision of regular training to internal clients on key legal and regulatory issues (iii) Selection and maintenance of legal research resources.Key Requirements
- Qualified to practice law in Pakistan, and ideally the United States, UK, Australia or New Zealand.
- At least 10 years of post-qualification legal experience, preferably with an international law firm and/or multi-national corporation with at least a significant portion of such experience occurring in Pakistan and/or the Middle East.
- Ideally, in-depth experience of the professional services industry.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Urdu.
- Developed commercial awareness with an outcome orientated approach and the ability to apply legal principles pragmatically.
Other Personal Characteristics
- Unquestioned ethics and integrity.
- High level of self-confidence and energy.
- High level of intellectual agility, initiative, self-motivation, resourcefulness, and patience.
- Pragmatic with strong business acumen.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail. Apply
EY Ernst & Young Jobs Senior Legal Counsel